Thursday, January 10, 2008

Assignment #1

Assignment 1: Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Write a paragraph response to the following questions to get you thinking about this unit. This will be your first blog post

1. What motivates immigrants to come to the United States (today)? Consider what they lose and what they can gain in your argument.

2. Thousands of Europeans chose to move to the British colonies. Some for economic reasons and some for freedoms. If you decided to immigrate somewhere, would you move for economic reasons or for freedom?

* Write your response as a blog post. Be sure that your response addresses both questions above and is a minimum of 6-8 sentences. Use proper grammar, capitalization, etc. Give your post an appropriate title. After you publish your post, notify Mrs. Siegmund so she can grade it and award your points. *20 possible points.


America is known as the place that anyone can succeed in life, where anyone and everyone is equal. Sometimes referred to as "The Melting Pot" America is known for its diversity. In a way we are all Immigrants. People flock to the U.S. seeking freedom and to escape economic depression, people will leave there family and friends just to come here. I have no clue what its like to live in a country in which I have no voice in. I am truly lucky that I was born an American citizen. If I was in a position that made me want to leave my country of origin, I would probably move to Canada. I like there health care system a lot.

3 comments:

carrie said...

Oh it's so cold in Canada!!

Could use more specific details to defend why immigrants come here, but overall a good and well written post.

19/20 points.

carrie said...

Oh yeah, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with you again!

Christian said...

very in depth and complete. freakin' awesome.